Saturday 30 January 2010

Variety?

Having become aware of some things I seemed to have for one reason or another fallen out of the habit of eating (coconut oil, spirulina, garlic, mung beans) and some things I only eat seldomly (sesame seeds, brazil nuts) I thought it would be interesting to list all the different foods I ate yesterday: some of these I have eaten more than once and of course some fall in more than one category

Vegetables and Fruit
Romaine lettuce
Cucumber
Celery
Carrot
Red Onion
Garlic
Orange

Fats
Olive oil
Avocado
Flax oil
Brazil nuts
Virgin cocounut oil

Seeds
Sesame seeds
Sprouted sunflower seeds
Sprouted buckwheat
Flaxseed

Dehydrated food
flaxseed, onion, courgette, tomato, lemon juice, olive oil (contained in buckwheat bread)
NAKD coco loco snack bar

Supplements/Superfoods
Spirulina
Cacao powder

Dark leafy greens are noticeably absent after the whole goitrogen thing. I thought it might be best to give my body a break from them until it got the iodine back on track. I was kindly pointed to advice by 'Bitt' from bittspog.blogspot.com that criticizes that claim that links kale and spinach (cruciferous vegetables) to under active thyroid, http://bittsblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/do-certain-raw-foods-affect-thyroid.html Thank you Bitt! In any case I should still include these foods in moderation and can choose other greens, so will have some spinach today.

Very little fruit (although lots of sugar in snack bar)

Legumes also absent (green lentils and mung beans are soaking as I write - I can only get green lentils in one place now and can't get brown ones anywhere!)

Also interesting is that there is a lot of fat there! I have always believed that all these good fats do not contribute to weight gain and recently read that sugar with a high GI is what makes you change your food into fat, but maybe the fats are still one to watch...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! Raw love from Amy x x